How to Cause Resistance
Change Management >
Resistance to change > How to Cause
Here are just a few of the ways you can cause people to resist the change:
- Resist the resistance, fighting back.
- Do not use your sponsors.
- Try to do everything yourself.
- Allow sponsors to be non-committal about the change.
- Use threats and aggressive language.
- Avoid talking to individual people.
- Avoid listening to people.
- Do not visit the various teams affected.
- Spend more time with your allies (and avoiding the troublemakers).
- Ignore those who resist. Keep your fingers crossed they will give up.
- Tell people about your plans and then ignore the plans.
- Give lots of rational reasons why people should do as you say.
- Dive into the details before they have bought the big picture.
- Do not test that people have understood what you have said.
- Lose faith yourself in the change.
- Be vague about what the change will be.
- Avoid being the messenger of bad news.
- Collude with the other person.
- Produce non-specific plans.
- Expect people to instantly understand what took you three weeks to figure
- Publicly and aggressively punish those who object.
- Shout down anyone who disagrees.
- Do not change reward systems to align with the change.
- Make 'an exception' for talented people who resist.