Classic Story Types
Plots > Classic Story Types
There are a number of classic types of story. Here are some of these.
- Action: Non-stop chasing, fighting, etc.
- Adventure: Heroes and incredible action in escapist fun.
- Biographic drama: A story of a real life.
- Body swap: Being someone else.
- Caper: Loveable rogues pull off big heist without hurting people.
- Chase: Pursuit, crashes, stunts and capture (perhaps).
- Chick Flick: Fun for women.
- Classroom drama: Emotional students and
- Comedy: Funny things happen to funny people.
- Courtroom drama: Lawyers save the day.
- Crime: Good guys catch bad guys.
- Disaster: Terrible things happen. People survive.
- Docu-drama: Documentary made interesting.
- Drama: Just everyday excitement.
- Escape: Good people captured by bad people. Escape themselves.
- Espionage: Spies, counterspies and political secrets.
- Fantasy: Wizards and heroes battle with monsters. Good guys win.
- Horror: Scary things trigger fear.
- Kitchen-sink drama: Mundane stuff at home.
- Mystery: Solving puzzles.
- Period drama: Rich people in costumes have petty problems.
- Pioneer: People go to strange places. Discover themselves.
- Psychological thriller: Scary and subtle
- Rescue: Saving people from harm.
- Romance: The path of true love is not smooth, but it is inevitable.
- Science fiction: One of the above, set in the future.
- Slapstick: Comedy with custard.
- Survival: Man vs. nature. Man wins. Just.
- Swashbuckler: Pirates and daring on the Spanish Main.
- Teen drama: Adolescence and high emotion.
- Thriller: Exciting things happen.
- Tragedy: Sad things happen. People die.
- War: Big battles. Good guys win in the end.
- Western: Cowboys, Indians and the wild west.
- Whodunnit: Detective detects who done it.